The Active BM9 studio ribbon microphone, provides an additional 20 dB output over the standard BM9.
The Active BM9 employs a balanced transistor amplifier with no capacitors in the signal chain. This gives an additional 20dB in level and lowers the output impedance, allowing you to drive longer lines.
A versatile low noise ribbon microphone, with a strong output, rich bass and clear, detailed top end, the Active BM9 is equally at home in front of a guitar amp or an orchestra. The Active BM9 brings you the best combination of vintage tone and modern utility.
Quality control is paramount with ribbon microphones, which is why every ribbon is made, fitted and tuned by Dr. Stewart Tavener, who has worked on thousands of vintage and new microphones. The Active BM9 is made in the UK*. All the metal parts are machined and plated in England, and the transformers are wound and the mics assembled at our facility in York.
The Active BM9 is supplied with a solid wood box and hardtail mount.
Mechanical parts carry a lifetime warranty to the original owner. Ribbons are warrantied for 1 year from date of purchase, but with care should last many years.
- Output impedance = <100 ohms at 1KHz
- Directional Pattern: True figure-8. View BM9 polar pattern chart
- Transducer Element: 1.8 micrometer aluminum ribbon
- Frequency range*: <30 Hz – 15 kHz @ ±3dB. (excludes proximity effect)
- View BM9 frequency response chart
- Maximum SPL: 135dB @ 20 Hz
- Sensitivity: 3.5 mV/Pa, -49 dBv/Pa (referenced to AEA R84)
- Self noise (thermal): -130 dBV at 20ºC (20 kHz bandwidth)
- Signal to noise (1kHz at 1 Pa): 81 dB.
- Proximity effect: Strong
- Electronics: Active +48v.
- Output configuration: Transformer balanced
- Output Connector: XLR3, Pin 2= +ve, Pin 3 = -ve, Pin 1 = Ground
- Weight: 355g (microphone only)
*We use transformer laminations and bobbins from the USA. Everything else is made in England.