This listing is for 2 x BM9 ribbon microphones. These microphones are tested and paired at our workshop, giving you a perfectly matched pair.
Designed to be equally at home in front of a guitar amp or an orchestra, the Extinct Audio BM9 brings you the best combination of vintage tone and modern utility. The BM9 is a versatile, low noise ribbon microphone, with strong output, rich bass and clear, detailed top end.
The BM9 is made entirely in the UK*. Metal parts are machined and plated in England, and the transformers and assembly are performed at our facility in York.
Quality control is paramount with ribbon microphones, which is why every ribbon is fitted and tuned by Dr. Stewart Tavener, an engineer who has worked on thousands of vintage microphones.
The BM9 pair supplied in a solid wood box, with hardtail mounts.
Mechanical parts carry a lifetime warranty to the original owner. Ribbons are warrantied for 1 year from date of purchase, but with care should last many years.
- Output impedance = 300 ohms at 1KHz
- Directional Pattern: True figure-8. View BM9 polar pattern chart
- Transducer Element: 1.8 micrometer aluminum ribbon
- Frequency range*: <30 Hz – 15 kHz @ ±3dB. (excludes proximity effect)
- View BM9 frequency response chart
- Maximum SPL: 135dB @ 20 Hz
- Sensitivity: 3.5 mV/Pa, -49 dBv/Pa (referenced to AEA R84)
- Self noise (thermal): -130 dBV at 20ºC (20 kHz bandwidth)
- Signal to noise (1kHz at 1 Pa): 81 dB.
- Proximity effect: Strong
- Electronics: Passive. No power required
- Output configuration: Transformer balanced
- Output Connector: XLR3, Pin 2= +ve, Pin 3 = -ve, Pin 1 = Ground
- Weight: 355g (per microphone)
*We use transformer laminations from Germany and bobbins from the USA.