This is a ruggedised version of our popular BM9 ribbon microphone, with a 2.5 micrometer ribbon, designed to withstand higher sound pressure volumes found close up in front of guitar amps and other louder instruments. It has a black label and grills to distinguish it from the standard BM9.
The transformer has iron-rich laminations to take a higher signal level before saturation, and a lower inductance to compensate for the bass proximity effect. This gives a flatter, detailed response when working within a few inches of the sound source.
These microphones are tough enough to take on the road and have recently been used on major tours with the bands Foals and Snow Patrol. (As with all microphones, we still advise carful handling.)
Mechanical parts carry a lifetime warranty to the original owner. Ribbons are warrantied for 1 year from date of purchase, but with care should last many years.
- Output impedance = 250 ohms at 1KHz
- Directional Pattern: True figure-8
- Transducer Element: 2.5 micrometer aluminum ribbon
- Frequency range: <30 Hz – 15 kHz @ ±3dB
- Maximum SPL: 135dB @ 20 Hz
- Proximity effect: Medium
- Electronics: Passive. No power required
- Output transformer*: Custom iron-rich transformer with mu-metal shielding
- Output Connector: XLR3, Pin 2= +ve, Pin 3 = -ve, Pin 1 = Ground
- Weight: 355g (microphone only)
- Made in Yorkshire, UK.*
*We use transformer laminations from Germany and bobbins from the USA.